Baked Pumpkin Mac & Cheese with BaconPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 lb. Cloverdale bacon (we used Hickory)
- 4 cups Elbow macaroni (cooked according to package instructions)
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 4 tbsp. All-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. Pepper
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1-1/2 cups 2% Milk
- 1-1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- 2 cups Shredded Fontana cheese
- 15 oz. Can Pumpkin (1 can)
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Sage (chooped, plus more for garnish)
- 1 cup Panko Bread crumbs
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 tbsp. Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place bacon on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until very crispy. Allow to drain on a paper towel and then crumble into small pieces. Set aside.
- When done with the bacon, switch the oven to 350F.
- In a medium/large saucepan heat the butter over medium heat. Once fully melted, add the flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder, and stir constantly to combine.
- Slowly pour in the milk and cream, whisking constantly while you add. Allow to thicken, continuing to stir, until bubbly.
- Add in the cheese, one cup at a time, stirring to melt before adding the second cup. Stir in the pumpkin and sage.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the cooked pasta, stirring to combine. Stir in the bacon crumbles, reserving some for garnish if desired.
- In a separate small bowl, combine panko, parmesan, and olive oil.
- Pour the macaroni into a large baking dish, pressing down slightly with your spoon to make the top level.
- Pour the panko mixture over the noodles, covering the entire top. Sprinkle with extra sage if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until everything is hot and bubbly and the bread crumbs are golden and toasted.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with extra bacon!! Enjoy!